Gleneagles Hospital began as a 45-bed nursing home known as Gleneagles Nursing Home and was later incorporated as Gleneagles Hospital Limited in 1958. The current hospital site on Napier Road used to be known as Gleneagles Hotel, and it was eventually bought over by the hospital. Gleneagles Hospital was officially opened on 8th June 1959. It was subsequently expanded into a 126-bed medical centre between 1979 and 1980. In 1987, Gleneagles Hospital was acquired by Parkway Holdings.
After its acquisition by Parkway Holdings, Gleneagles Hospital embarked on a S$150 million 3-year expansion that turned Gleneagles Hospital into a multi-disciplinary state-of-the-art medical facility. In 1994, the Gleneagles Medical Centre was commissioned. Today, Gleneagles Hospital houses more than 300 on-site doctors from over 30 specialties and sub-specialties.