Name: Eric Chong
Eric Chongis a senior consultant cardiologist. Dr. Chong completed general cardiology training in the National University Hospital in 2008 and has been a registered cardiologist since 2008. In 2009-2010, he received the Singapore Ministry of Health Scholarship and underwent advance interventional cardiology and cardiac pacing training at the St Thomas’ Hospital, London UK, under Professor Martyn Thomas and Professor Simon Redwood, who are the past and current presidents of the British Cardiovascular Interventional Society and chief authors of the Oxford Handbook of interventional cardiology. Dr. Chong set up acute heart attack intervention service in the Khoo Teck Puat Hospital in 2010 and later in the Jurong Health in 2011, as the director of cardiac catheterization lab and the director of cardiology service respectively.
In 2012, Dr. Chong underwent further invasive electrophysiology, cardiac pacing and basic research training at the Taipei Veterans General Hospital under Professor Shih-Ann Chen, who was the immediate past president of the Asia-Pacific Heart Rhythm Society and the founder of invasive atrial fibrillation treatment involving pulmonary vein ablation.
Dr. Chong has presented talks and research papers in many local and international cardiology conferences and was invited faculty member in local and international cardiovascular meetings. He has won a list of awards at local and international levels. These awards include:
1. Gold Medal in the Young Investigators Award in the Asia-Pacific Cardiac Society Congress in 2008;
2. Third Prize Young Investigators Award in the Asia-Pacific Heart Rhythm Society Congress in 2012.
3. Best Research Paper Gold medal winner the Annals Academy of Medicine Singapore in 2010
4. Third Prize Winner for the Singapore Medical Journal Best Paper publication award in 2012.
5. Gold medal in clinical research oral presentation in the Singapore Malaysia Congress of Medicine in 2011
6. First prize oral research presentation in the National Health Group annual scientific meeting in 2008.
7. Finalist in the Singapore Cardiac Society Young Investigator Award Competition in 2006 and 2013.
8. Singapore Medical Journal Best Reviewer Award in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
9. Best Senior Investigator Clinical Poster Award in Singapore Malaysia Hong Kong Tripartite Medical Congress 2013
10. Best Senior Investigator Clinical Research Award in Singapore Malaysia HongKong Tripartite Medical Congress 2013
Dr. Chong currently holds a joint research grant from the National Medical Research Council (NMRC) of Singapore. He is an adjunct assistant clinical professor in the National University of Singapore.
Dr. Chong is a Fellow of the Academy of Medicine of Singapore, Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology, Fellow of the American College of Cardiology, fellow of the ASEAN Federation of Cardiology and Fellow of the Asia Pacific Society of Interventional Cardiology. He is a member of the Royal College of Physicians London and American Heart Rhythm Society. Dr. Chong holds Graduate Diploma of Family Medicine, Singapore, level II European Heart Rhythm Association (EHRA) Cardiac Pacing certification and certifications of the International Board of Heart Rhythm Examiners (IBHRE) in electrophysiology and cardiac device therapy.
Besides general cardiology practice, Dr. Chong specializes in management of patients with complex, unstable and serious cardiac conditions and patients who require complex invasive cardiac intervention. He specializes in complex coronary intervention and coronary imaging studies using the latest devices and techniques. He also specializes in cardiac arrhythmia treatment and implantation of cardiac pacing and defibrillator devices.